Saturday, June 25, 2011

Apple Pie a la Kate

I thought it only appropriate to start out with an apple pie recipe here. Apple Pie is Thomas' absolute favorite thing in the world. I hate it. Not even a dislike, but I can handle it, I hate it...won't touch the stuff. It comes down to my hatred of all baked fruit, but this tops everything. Everyone so often, after much pestering I give in and make him an apple pie. 
Most of the time, I use a recipe I got from my adorable baby sister Katrina. (Yep, she's almost 18 and has graduated high school, but she'll always be the baby) She makes this when the family gets together and Thomas loves it, so I stick with what works.

Ingredients:
  • Pie Crust (Make your fave or buy from store. I don't have a perfect recipe, so I'm not going to give you one)
Apple Filling:
  • 5 granny smith apples (her recipe actually calls for 6, but every time I do 6, the pie overflows. With 5 apples it is perfect)
  • 1-1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup flour
Crumb Topping
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup softened butter
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
 
In a plastic bag place sugar, cinnamon, flour, and lemon juice, mix well. Peel apples and slice thinly. Add apples to mix and shake it around til the apples are all coated. Put apples into 9 in uncooked pie crust.

Mix together all of the crumb topping ingredients and pat on top of apples.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes and enjoy!

One time my amazing little sis baked this pie for an hour and a half. It was quite burnt when it came out. My lil bro and Thomas still ate the inside of it. That is the amount of dedication they have to the apple pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment