Saturday, July 9, 2011

Key Lime Pie

 
 I'm soon going to be making a special Key Lime treat, and so I'm going to share my experience with Key Lime Pie. I made this a year ago for the bosses birthday, and it was so simple and so good. I've actually even made it a couple times since. The recipe is from the Joy of Baking.

Graham Cracker Crust:

1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (on the Joy of Baking site they say you can also used 'crushed digestive biscuits' I'm not quite sure what that means, but if I find out I'll be sure to share)

2 tablespoons granulated white sugar

5 - 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted


Filling:

3 large egg yolks, room temperature

1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk

1/2 cup key lime juice (can use regular limes, I've done both and it has come out well both ways)

2 teaspoons grated lime zest


Topping:

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly butter spray a 9 inch pie pan.

Mix together graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter until everything is moistened. Press along the bottom and sides of a pie pan. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside on cooling rack.
In medium bowl, beat egg yolks until pale & fluffy (2-3 minutes). Gradually add the condensed milk and beat until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then beat in lime juice & zest. 

Pour the filling into the crust and bake for 10-15 minutes, until filling is set. Remove from oven and set on wire rack to cool. Once it has cooled completely, cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.

Once the filling is chilled, cover with whip cream. You can put the mound of it on there, or can pipe it through a star tip to give it a little extra on the presentation. Then just enjoy!

This recipe makes one pie. You can easily double it if needed (and I suggest you do, it goes fast!)

No comments:

Post a Comment